Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Let the Sun Shine In

This song from The Flintstones has been going through my head all day...
Unfortunately, songs from The Flintstones go through my head all the time. I was hooked on this show when I was a kid. It was on everyday after school and I watched it (and Gilligan's Island) probably almost every weekday between 3rd and 8th grade. This was the episode where Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm (who couldn't speak yet) suddenly acquired the ability to sing and became big stars. I didn't catch the joke at the time, but the famous manager that signs them to a record deal is named Eppy Brianstone (a joke on the name of the Beatles manager Brian Epstein.) **Spoiler alert - At the end we find out that it is all a dream. I bet you didn't see that coming.
For more about the song...

I knew this song from The Flintstones, but it was actually a big hit in 1955 for The Cowboy Church Sunday School, which was actually song writer Stuart Hamblen's wife and adult daughters voices sped up. The single is here...
but if you play the 45 at 33, you can hear the original voices...
 
For my money... the best version is by the songwriter, the religious singing cowboy, Stuart Hamblen...
 

For those of you who actually listened to all these versions - congratulations... now it will be playing in your head all day!


No comments:

Post a Comment